Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Cats Made Me Read These, So Don't Tell Them I Actually Enjoyed Them


I don't know what happened, but I am actually scared of the cats again.  They used to run away from me in a very satisfying way, but now they puff all up to twice their size, and the sounds coming out of their mouths are truly frightening!  I tell you, I'd really like to take a big bite out of - oops, here comes Mom, shhhhh!

OUCH!  My nose!
I'm sitting on a pile of four books, a series is what I think they call them.  The cats flung them at me while I was trying to eat their cat food, which had been placed up on a desk, just out of my reach.  These books are not very big, thankfully, because they came flying at my nose.  They would be good for young readers, maybe ages 7-10.

Janet Taylor Lisle wrote them, and they are about three friends, two girls and a boy.  Angela, Georgina and Poco.  The first book has mysterious letters from "Pilaria, the Gray-Eyed Faerie" that appear over the fireplace.  In the second Juliette the cat disappears (good riddance, I say!) and the children use a Ouija Board to find her (shouldn't have bothered).  A statue of a Match Girl sends secret messages to Poco in the third, and the last book has aliens in it.  Angela claims they came and took her away, and indeed she seems greatly changed to her friends.  The series is called "The Investigators of the Unknown" and there was certainly enough unknown stuff going on to keep me reading through the whole series, which I finished before my evening walk.  Even while I was peeing on the neighbor's lawn I was pondering what was and wasn't real.  Just like at home, when those letters mysteriously come through that little slot in the front door.  And why does Mom get so excited about those "catalogs" (cats again!) with all the glossy pictures of clothes and shoes?  And why does Dad recycle them as soon as Mom leaves the room?  So many  unanswered questions!

I hate to admit that for once those two cats had good taste, but these books were really good, and you should read them too.

1 comment:

  1. I have ordered most of your book recommendations (getting ready for summer vacation!) and can't wait to dig in with Matthew and Victoria. Will let you know if I agree with you Princess!

    ReplyDelete