Monday, June 3, 2013

The Aviary, but why not the Squirrellery?

It's no secret that I prefer squirrels, but given the boring nature of my Friday afternoon alone I had to find something to read, no matter what it was about.  The book on top of mom's pile was "The Aviary".  The cover is great, dark green and black with all sorts of birds (yummy) and a girl in old-fashioned clothes.   When I read the inside of the cover it told about a crumbling mansion, a magician from the past, an old lady and a girl named Clara. Also an aviary full of some screechy, scary birds.  One day the mynah bird squawks, "Elliot, hurry!" to Clara.  That leads Clara into a mystery with villains and danger and old secrets and lots of birds(!), but sadly no squirrels.
Then here's what happened.  Paul came home!!!!  I had to leap all over him and sniff his smelly shoes, and sit on the couch with him so he wouldn't be lonely.  Now my mom has got the book and she's not sharing, so I'll have to tell you about this book later.  She also says that the inside of the cover is called a flyleaf.


Can I tell you a little about another book with birds?  It is "The Apothecary" by Maile Meloy, with lots of illustrations by Ian Schoenherr.  There are three friends - Janie, Benjamin and Pip.  Benjamin's father, an apothecary, vanishes.  The children have to save his sacred book, the Pharmacopeeeeia, or Pharmacopooiea, or something like that.  It's full of spells and some Russian spies are after it, and they are bad.  There's lots of danger, some good chase scenes (again, sadly without squirrels), a murder, and something you won't believe involving birds!  The cover of the book makes you want to pick it up and drool on it.  I definitely recommend it, especially if you are stuck in the house by yourself and can't even open the door or the refrigerator because you only have paws, no thumbs.  It is good for boys and girls and dogs, but too advanced for cats and hamsters - so don't even think about it!

2 comments:

  1. I love all of your book recommendations. Is there any way to keep a running list on the right side of the blog? Like a Books I've Recommended or something like that. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Princess' spelling incorporating basic bodily functions and I share her liking for The Apothecary (I completely understand the urge to drool over that cover, too!) If she associates a book like that with The Aviary, I will have to check that one out, too!

    Thank goodness she finally got at least a picture of squirrels in. She should come and sit at my window. There's nothing BUT squirrels!

    ReplyDelete